Going Back In Time

March 10, 2008

Taking a trip back to hip-hop's good old days, with a visit to DJ Eclipse's legendary Halftime Show on WNYU.

(note: this video contains some adult language, as it were. footage is from the halftime show's 10th anniversary show last week)

Posted by jsmooth995 at March 10, 2008 1:43 PM
Comments

this is the reason i love hip hop, easy to forget with the state of the mainstream

thanks jay

Posted by: tom at March 10, 2008 2:18 PM

once upon a time, brent was listening to the halftime show 10th anniversary show. while about a quarter of the way through, he began to wonder whether the internets had any footage of the show aside from the yak balls freestyle he had seen the day before. after minutes and minutes of searching random ass websites for footage he gave up and began to visit his regular stops on his daily internet roundup. behold! jay smooth comes through with a video that made brent say "WOOOOOOOOO!"

props jay

Posted by: Brent at March 10, 2008 2:25 PM

That was incredibly hot. I haven't seen Master Ace or the Giant in years!!! Thanks Jay...

and how bout their freestyle was much better than whats on the dang radio?!?!?

Posted by: DJ Diva at March 10, 2008 3:59 PM

Tight.

Posted by: bill c. at March 10, 2008 4:10 PM

I have now listen to this video for the 8th time and it only seems to get better. CRAZY!

Posted by: Markus at March 10, 2008 4:39 PM

So nice i had to play it twice... god damn that was good. the world needs more hiphop and less rap/pop.

Posted by: Vergel E at March 10, 2008 4:48 PM

I'm loving this, you're echoing my sentiment, we have to go back to the essence of real hip-hop. This is NICE. The reason I fell in love wtih hip-hop was MC's like this, not todays one hit wonder artists.

Posted by: G-Harp The Producer at March 10, 2008 6:01 PM

I keep rewinding the Ace verse over and over. The guy's still got it. I'm gonna sound mad greedy right now but I don't care: J, please tell me you have more footage. Please post it. I'm feenin' like Pookie and the prom queen.

Posted by: Dee Phunk at March 10, 2008 6:14 PM

man i miss the ol days

Posted by: Freebeats at March 10, 2008 8:18 PM

yo. For real hiphop you guys need to check out this site:

they post a new mix up on there like every other day. The shit is crazy!!!!!

Posted by: the little hater at March 10, 2008 8:44 PM

yo. For real hiphop you guys need to check out this site:

they post a new mix up on there like every other day. The shit is crazy!!!!!

Posted by: the little hater at March 10, 2008 8:44 PM

Gonna save this bitch for the next asshat that says hiphop ain't shit.

Posted by: Mark Forman at March 10, 2008 8:56 PM

Ace is a vet, and that's how it is. I don't know about Craig G with that Supernat punch, G might've took that legendary battle but I did see Supernat holding it down at Rock The Bells last summer.

Posted by: Jay B at March 10, 2008 10:18 PM

Damn...Wow...
I don't even know what else to say...

My nephew told me a few months ago: "Yo! Lil' Wayne is the greatest MC alive!"

Papoose and Fat Joe couldn't even carry weed for Masta Ace.

Good looking out Mr. Smoov!

Posted by: ColbyCheese at March 11, 2008 12:20 AM

good shit.

Posted by: MrFan at March 11, 2008 12:40 AM

cant believe i missed this show.
at least i catch some highlights.
thanks j.

Posted by: Flip Ya For Real at March 11, 2008 5:33 PM

OOoh Wee! That got me shakin' my head and doin' the ugly face! Haha Great post Jay, Peace

Posted by: Jay Plus at March 12, 2008 10:59 AM

This is most amazing.

I borrowed it for my own site, I hope you don't mind. Having it chez moi just makes me feel like I was there.

It gave me shivers; I might be a hip-hop nerd.

Love it.

Posted by: rmf at March 13, 2008 8:56 PM

Hey Jay. After all this time, I'm still coming back to this. It's just pure essence, where has this gone now?

It also reminded me of some old Craig G freestyles I had on tape from the Radio 1 Rap Show with Tim Westwood (before he sold out). He used to do the odd show here and there entitled "New York Live", where he'd be broadcasting live with Marley Marl from the House of Hits, I've got some classical freestyles with him and other greats that just used to "pop in".

I'm going to go and dig them up, digitise them and share them on the net at some point...we need to be reminded of what it's actually all about!

Another great post - my favourite yet! The "International Freestyle" post previously held that accolade.

Keep it up.

Posted by: Gezzius at March 26, 2008 2:12 PM

what a quality video!
anyone know what the beat is?

Posted by: sami fixsen at February 2, 2009 5:05 AM