Charlie Ahearn on Wild Style, 25 Years Later (part 1)

October 11, 2007

Alright y'all, we're back on the grind with part one of my interview with the director of "Wild Style", Charlie Ahearn. We met up mad early (for WBAI's Wake Up Call) so I was feeling mumbly and drowsy, but I think I stayed semi-coherent for most of it. BTW, he told me his name is actually pronounced "uh-hearn" but I can't bring myself to say it that way.

Posted by jsmooth995 at October 11, 2007 3:21 AM
Comments

"...and they were like, bet!"

my favorite part of the interview. :)

Posted by: Steve Woolf at October 11, 2007 4:52 AM

This interview is fantastic. Thank you for bringing this stuff to the web. You're a great interviewer too, only alluding to things and keeping it concise on your part and leaving Charlie to do the talking. Keep up the good work; this is my favorite video blog and it's only getting better.

Posted by: Matt McVickar at October 11, 2007 6:23 AM

That's an interesting point about the Bronx. There was really no explanation for how the BX was back then. Maybe there is, but I can't think of what it is.

Good interview. I would like to see more.

Posted by: Jim N at October 11, 2007 9:51 AM

Imagine the difficulty it was shooting this movie back then with all the heavy equipment. Times have changed.

Posted by: jay dedman at October 11, 2007 2:09 PM

Dope interview indeed. Interesting how Charlie made some topical commentary about the film and shattered the illusion of how some folks associate being locked up with street cred. It's true, I can't think of saying his last name that way either.
Peace.

Posted by: Jay B at October 11, 2007 2:19 PM

Great interview, can't wait for the second part. This was a really pioneering movie and captured a historic point of the Bronx in the '80's...Check my blog, www.wheretheyat.blogspot.com.

Posted by: G-Harp The Producer at October 11, 2007 6:15 PM

Posted by: G-Harp The Producer at October 11, 2007 6:15 PM

Great interview jay. Is there anyway this video can be downloaded? I'm writing an undergrad thesis on representations of space in hip hop and would love to cite portions of the interview. Regardless, its refreshing to see a cultural critic both passionate about and critically engaging issues in hip hop.

Posted by: djac at October 12, 2007 1:37 PM

Thanks for bringing the Cat back..., Smooth.

Anon…….anthony –-- T (from thePatterson’s takingthetraintoTibet.)

Posted by: audiodramatist at October 12, 2007 4:44 PM

What's up? I just wanted you to know I found you and like your posts, so I've put you on my blogroll.

Check out my blog and reciprocate the link if you like the crazy and mundane stuff I write about.

Thanks!

Posted by: Scott at October 14, 2007 8:22 AM

yo man, you should look into current.tv

i could definitely see you on that network.

Posted by: alexis g at October 14, 2007 11:51 AM